runoff

Scott O'Donnell odonnell at fsl.noaa.gov
Tue Aug 19 21:52:06 EDT 1997

Coralie,

I'm sure that M.W. & P.L are trying to help you out, but
the referenced code is FAR from ready to use.  I've been
working with it for nearly a year and I'm still trying to
work out the bugs.  The authors of this code were not
programmers, just PhD students.  So, what you're getting is
some "apl-hacked-into-FORTRAN-hacked-into-C"
"good-enough-for-who-its-for" code by civil engineering students
learning C.  There are countless rookie coding errors that show
up if you use an ANSI C compiler on the source.  If you're going
to use a rigorous C compiler, expect to redeclare all the functions,
(they're currently written in K&R style definitions.) A significant
portion of the code is in the "main ()" function (I'm talking 1700
lines), violating first semester programming style guides of breaking
any solution into small, managable functions.  I could go on and
on.  If you are not a C programmer, you may want to consider
alternatives.

Data development is a challenge as well.  Expect to commit a
great deal of time to establishing the data necessary to support
this numerical model.  This will be true of any GIS based model.
This is one of the "big-ticket" items that people forget to talk
about.  The amount of time necessary develop the GIS that will
support a model is not trivial.  And, the larger the area, typically,
the more complex the database.  Of course, this assumes the source
data you will need is available.  Some investigation here is well
worth the effort, regardless of the model choice you make.

Algorithmically, the model performs (qualified) OK.  There are
a few disturbing comments in the code.  My favorite,
"/* why 14.9?  It works. */ troubles me.  This suggests
an empirical approach to solving some of the numerical equations.
You might expect to find some volume loss in a diffusive wave
solution, as is used here.  My experiments show that the losses
can be as large as 7%.  I don't know what your requirements are,
this may be an acceptable error.

I expected much more from a numerical hydrologic model located at
the "moon" site.  By the time I developed these opinions, I felt I
had too much time and effort committed to my project to start
over, so I'm working through the stuff the authors didn't get
around to dealing with.

Good luck in your endeavor,
Scott O'Donnell
--

Paul Loechl wrote:

> You should look under /pub/grass/outgoing/Raster for the program
> r.hydro.CASC2D_1.01.tar.Z
>
> ----
>
> Paul Loechl
> USACERL

"I don't think so,"                      Scott O'Donnell
   said Rene Descartes.                  odonnell at fsl.noaa.gov
Just then, he vanished!                  303 497 6562