Expanding GRASS - Questions

George Chou gchou at gpz.com
Thu Aug 28 21:20:02 EDT 1997

----------
> From: Alastair Duncan <100074.213 at compuserve.com>
> To: grassu-list <grassu-list at isis.cecer.army.mil>
> Subject: Expanding GRASS - Questions
> Date: Friday, May 09, 1997 8:08 AM
>
> Hello,
>
> I've been using the GRASS GIS for a number of years now and have been
constantly
> amazed, and amazed other people, that such a great bit of software is
available
> for free. However, I'm beginning to reach the edges of GRASS's
capabilities as
> my managers are asking me to convert the R&D work I've done with GRASS
into
> fully functional systems that can be used by a number of people in my
office. I
> realise that GRASS was designed to be used a research tool rather than a
> corporate GIS like Arc/Info, however I was wondering if and how anybody
has
> compiled GRASS to run over a network where you can:
>         - Have multiple users using the same GRASS binaries?
>         - Have a user running multiple GRASS sessions at the same time
and on
> the same or different database?
>         - Allow multiple users to access the same database at the same
time
> (though with read / write options controlled by the system
administrator)?

> Also, I know this is an oldie but I can't remember the answer, has anyone
solved
> the x-monitor problem of only being able to have one working x-monitor?
(If I
> fire up two x-monitors only one displays the full colour range - the
other one
> goes grey).
>
> Thanks in advance for any responses.
>
> Alastair Duncan,
> GIS Applications Scientist,
> National Centre for Environmental Data and Surveillance,
> Environment Agency,
> Bath, UK.

The answer to Alastair Duncan's "Expanding GRASS - Questions" is GRASS-XMI,
a software product that allows you to run GRASS through a user-friendly
X/Motif graphic user interface in the Solaris networking environment.  Here
are the highlights of its most important features.

	- One installation of GRASS-XMI will support the entire organizational
network.
	- Up to six concurrent users can run GRASS-XMI on each computer on the
network.
	- No limit on the number of computers that can run the software
concurrently.
	- One user can run multiple GRASS-XMI sessions on a single CPU, or on
several machines.
	- Multiple users can access the same database at the same time.
	- GRASS-XMI is easy to learn and to use.
	- Input validation occurs before launching a GRASS program.
	- New programs have been added to handle the most tedious user interface
in programs such as r.mask and r.reclass.

Beginning on Sept. 2, 1997, users will be able to download a FREE 30 day
trial of GRASS-XMI Ver. 1.2.  For more detailed information, or to download
the FREE 30 day trial, please visit GPZ Technology's web site at
http://www.gpz.com.

George Chou
GPZ Technology, Inc.