d.mon not working some help needed

Lawrence Houston grass at boyd.geog.mcgill.ca
Thu Dec 18 04:18:45 EST 1997

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, J.KRISHNA KUMAR wrote:

> I have been trying to get d.mon to work on my
> Linux Red hat 4.2 distribution and Kernel 2.0.30
> the Xwindows display is working fine I have taken a Generic Monitor
> the error message that comes, is when i start GRASS and give d.mon
> THE MESSAGE IS AS FOLLOWS
>

> XError of Failed Request :Badmatch (Invalid parameter Attributes)
> Major Opcode of failed request :78 (X_Create Colormap)
> Serial number of failed request :30
> Current serial number in output stream :31
> Error starting graphics monitor
>
> Is it some problem with my X-windows.. for it seems to be working
> fine and other application are running fine on that..

Krishna:

GRASS's "standard" XDRIVER supports ONLY 8-bit (256 Colour) Displays!
Would guess you are running the X Server at something other than 8-bit
(source of the problem)?  There is patched version of the XDRIVER called
"XDRIVER24" (allows an 8-bit XDRIVER on an 24-bit Display):

ftp://moon.cecer.army.mil/xdriver24.tar.Z           (Source)

ftp://moon.cecer.army.mil/grass4.15.p1.linux.tar.gz (Kang's Linux Binary)

I have tried neither (my video card is itself ONLY 8-bits), so I can NOT
tell you how well it works!

[Alternately just use a 8-bit Mode for GRASS]

                                                 Larry .....