territory polygons in grass (fwd)

A.B. South A.B.South at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Feb 19 11:41:50 EST 1997

A year or so ago I tried to generate territory polygons in grass. The way
I eventually ended up doing it involved using r.in.poly which creates a
raster polygon from a text file containing coordinates. I remember this
being time consuming and having to worry about which order the points
were in the file, and even then it appeared to have a funny bug that lead
to some of the polygons having additional lines dropping to the S edge of
the map.

Instead I would recomend using a home range analysis package that will do
all
the stuff you want for you (its best to avoid re-inventing the wheel if
possible!). You can get CALHOME for free on the net from:

http://www.uni-sb.de/philfak/fb6/fr66/tpw/telem/software/calhome.htm

This should do the job. You should be able to output text files from
grass containing the coordinates of the vertices and then shunt the file
straight into CALHOME.

Hope this is some help.
I'd be interested in what other replies you get.

Cheers
Andy

| Andy South				|
| CLUWRR, Porter Building,		|