Color map problems

David Mandel dmandel at transport.com
Wed Feb 26 21:52:04 EST 1997

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Angus Carr wrote:

> This sounds like a problem for r.colormode float.
> try that, then d.rast the gif file again.
>
> The problem is that grass uses a 256 colour colormap, using (by default) a
> fixed set of colors that represent a systematic selection through the
> colours. It is not optimized for any particular image. Your gif file is
> being forced to use this color map, rather than its own. r.colormode float
> will allowthe image to use its own colormap. The rest of the system will
> retain the normal colormap, so thing will flash in and out all the time.
> Try it....

I have tryed both r.colormode fixed and r.colormode float, with little
luck.  Indeed, I normally run most of my applications including GRASS with
private color maps to  avoid color problems.

However, I have yet to try r.in.gif as Jim Schmidt suggested as my GRASS
version of Linux is too old to have this.  My AIX version does have this
and I have had good luck with it.  I suppose I should think about
updating my Linux GRASS.  Someday.

                                                 Dave Mandel

 David Mandel, Linux Activist             dmandel at transport.com
 Internet Provided by:   Transport Logic         (503) 243-1940
               Serving the Pacific Northwestern USA
 Portland  *  Vancouver  *  McMinnville   *   Salem    *   Bend