dBASE file problems.

Joachim Wiesel wiesel at ipf.bau-verm.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Jan 26 07:35:32 EST 1997

At 10:10 23.01.1997 -0800, David Mandel wrote:

>I'm working on a freeware translator to read and write ArcView shape files
>to/from MOSS (and hopefully GRASS).  The attribute data is stored in
>dBASE format.  Where can I find a description of this format or platform
>independent freeware C libraries to read/write these files.
>
>Thank you for any help you can give me.

Hi David,

check with the FTP Server of PCI, Inc. --- they have donated a library for
accessing Shape files and also one for dbase files to the net:

ftp.pci.on.ca:/pub/pd

there you can find 2 files: shapelib-1.1.0.tar.Z  and dbf.tar.Z
which are sources for libraries and sample programs...

good luck

Joachim

(n.b.: I would be intersted in experiences - good or bad - with these
libraries.)

Joachim Wiesel, Institute of Photogrammtry and Remote Sensing, University
of Karlsruhe Englerstr. 7, D-76128 Karlsruhe,Germany, Phone: +49 721
608-2316 Fax:   +49 721 69 45 http://www-ipf.bau-verm.uni-karlsruhe.de/