DEm generation from raw data

Sheilah Nolan snolan at ulysses.sis.ualberta.ca
Fri Jul 4 12:21:07 EDT 1997

Hello,

The easiest method of generating a raster DEM is to use
s.surf.idw.  Make sure that your ASCII file is in your
site_lists directory and in the
correct format:

name|filename
desc|your id notes
easting|northing|elevation

You can also generate a raster map of DEM data using s.surf.tps or
s.surf.2d, depending on your version of GRASS.  This is trickier
and will require a fair bit of playing around, but yields a better
(more true to your data) product.

I assume that these DEM's can be used as input to r.watershed, but
have never tried this.

Good luck.

Sheilah

Sheilah C. Nolan                          email:  snolan at ulysses.sis.ualberta.ca
Research Agronomist                       Phone:  (403) 422-6530
Conservation and Development Branch       Fax:    (403) 422-0474
Alberta Agriculture, Food and Rural Development
#206, 7000 - 113 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5T6 CANADA