GRASS to shape files

William A. Perkins wa_perkins at pnl.gov
Fri Jun 6 10:25:20 EDT 1997

    Simon> David Mandel wrote:
    >>
    >> There is a white paper at http://www.esri.com describing the
    >> shape file formats in detail, and I have used this paper to write
    >> the beginnings of a library to handle shape files.  In fact, I have
    >> gotten as far as completing two programs:
    >> moss2shape     and     shape2moss
    >> These aren't very interesting in themselves, but they demonstrate the
    >> functionality of the shape library.  Eventually, I want to write dig2shape
    >> and shape2dig, and I want to write programs to reproject shape files.

    Simon> Onya Dave!  Keep up the good work.  I wonder if there
    Simon> are any other SHAPE libraries around that you could leverage off?
    Simon> --
    Simon> __________________________________________________
    Simon> Dr Simon Cox - Australian Geodynamics Cooperative Research Centre
    Simon> CSIRO Exploration & Mining, PO Box 437, Nedlands, WA 6009 Australia
    Simon> T:  +61 8 9389 8421   F:  +61 8 9389 1906   simon at ned.dem.csiro.au
    Simon> http://www.ned.dem.csiro.au/CoxSimon/

Evidently this library does exist, and is free. A really nice example
of its use can be found at the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness
homepage <http://www.gis.umn.edu:80/bwcaw/mapping/mapping.html>.  In
their FAQ they point to a shape file library at
<ftp://ftp.pci.on.ca/pub/pd/>.  I have not used it, but from the looks
of the BWCAW GIS MapServer, it ought to be pretty complete.

Bill

--
Bill Perkins
Battelle Pacific Northwest Laboratories