Expanding GRASS - Questions

Alastair Duncan 100074.213 at compuserve.com
Fri May 9 11:08:31 EDT 1997

Hello,

I've been using the GRASS GIS for a number of years now and have been constantly
amazed, and amazed other people, that such a great bit of software is available
for free. However, I'm beginning to reach the edges of GRASS's capabilities as
my managers are asking me to convert the R&D work I've done with GRASS into
fully functional systems that can be used by a number of people in my office. I
realise that GRASS was designed to be used a research tool rather than a
corporate GIS like Arc/Info, however I was wondering if and how anybody has
compiled GRASS to run over a network where you can:
        - Have multiple users using the same GRASS binaries?
        - Have a user running multiple GRASS sessions at the same time and on
the same or different database?
        - Allow multiple users to access the same database at the same time
(though with read / write options controlled by the system administrator)?

Also, I know this is an oldie but I can't remember the answer, has anyone solved
the x-monitor problem of only being able to have one working x-monitor? (If I
fire up two x-monitors only one displays the full colour range - the other one
goes grey).

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Alastair Duncan,
GIS Applications Scientist,
National Centre for Environmental Data and Surveillance,
Environment Agency,
Bath, UK.