r.mapcalc

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Tue Oct 21 09:43:44 EDT 1997

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Stephan Eickschen wrote:

> Hi GRASSers
>
> I 've got two questions (which I hope not to be to silly ;-) )
>
> -1-
>
> Is it possible to use r.mapcalc to calculate the minimum, maximum and /
> or the average of raster layers with using UNIX wild cards ("*" in my
> case) such as:
>
> r.mapcalc max970124=max(a12*970124*)
>
> to calculate a raster layer called max970124 of the maximum of all
> raster layers matching "a12*970124".

No, "*" means "multiply" in r.mapcalc. As far as I know, no wildcards are
supported in r.mapcalc, so you'll have to manually enter all of those map
names. Now, if you're clever, you could write a shell script that _would_
use a wild card to create your r.mapcalc statement and then run it. Don't
forget that there is a limit to the number of files you can have open; it
seems to me that it is something around 27.
	-Malcolm Williamson