XGRASS t/b/c

Justin Hickey jhickey at impact1.hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Sep 17 06:05:52 EDT 1997

Hello Stephan

On Sep 16,  3:00pm, Stephan Eickschen wrote:
> Subject: XGRASS t/b/c
> thanks for your help!

No problem

> It seems, that you had all the same problems I am
> currently going through some times ago ;-) - and maybe the only one,
> you are the only "fountaine of knowledge"....
> So, as you might guesse, I have new problems and I would like to ask you
> for some help - now in direct way. I think, that I will send a summary
> of it all to the list, whenever I will have solved all problems.

Well I don't think a summary sent to the list will be much use as most of the
people on the list have grass compiled. I thought of doing that as well but for
the reason mentioned above, decided not to. However, I have recently finished
compiling the floating point version of grass and have found many programming
errors. I plan to contact the keepers of the ftp site to see if I can submit an
updated version of the code with all the changes to replace the current
floating point code.

> Now the libXbm.a is making trouble! As you might see from the output,
> which I attached as "GISGEN.txt", it was compiled and build without any
> (reported) error, but at linking there is something missing: the
> XAllocColor. As far as I am, it is defined in /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h.
> I added a #include <X11/Xlib.h> to _all_ create.c I found in
> $GIS/src/xgrass/.. because the error message complained about this file,
> but it did not help...
> Do you have again a simple clue as the two times before???

Yep, in the file $GIS/src/xgrass/display/Gmakefile there should be a line (line
10) which looks like

LIBS = $(BOGUS) $(XGDLIB) $(XGILIB) $(XXX) $(XPMLIB) $(BOGUS) $(YYY)

Change the line to be

LIBS = $(XGDLIB) $(XGILIB) $(XPMLIB) $(XXX) $(BOGUS) $(YYY)

That should now find XAllocColor

> Did you have more problems with xgrass of which I should be aware of or
> which might be avoided in a simple way? Did you summarize your
> "source-code-improvement"?

Yes I did but I have compiled the floating point version which I believe caused
some errors that you may not have encountered. Also, the "summary" of only the
xgrass stuff is over 1200 lines long because I included all warning and error
messages along with the fix I did for each. I'm picky when it comes to
compiling software and I like clean compiles (no warnings or errors). If you
really want the summary let me know and I'll put it on our ftp site.

Oh yes in the file $GIS/src/CMD/head/irix (I think it will be irix for you) the
XCFLAGS line should be as follows

XCFLAGS             = -D_NO_PROTO -DXM_1_1_BC

The -DXM_1_1_BC flag is needed for some backward compatibility issues. Let me
know if you have any problems with this.

> P.S.: I hope, that I do not bother you too much...

Not at all. I'm more than happy to help.

Talk to you later.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th