map projection suitable for Europe

Roy Sanderson R.A.Sanderson at newcastle.ac.uk
Thu Apr 23 08:39:58 EDT 1998

Dear Grass Users

I have a paper map of Europe (including western part of Russia) which I
intend to digitise and use in GRASS.  The problem is that I'm not sure what
projection to use in GRASS: the original paper map uses a Lambert Conformal
Conic Projection, and covers a dozen UTM zones.  I fear that trying to
force it into a GRASS latitude-longitude projection will cause too much
distortion.  I could use Arc/Info (but I'd rather not!).

Many thanks for any help
Roy

Roy Sanderson
Centre for Land Use and Water Resources Research
Porter Building
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU