Successful importing raster files from Idrisi4.0 for DOS

Houxiang Wang GEO Grad 96 wangh2 at gisserv20.geog.muohio.edu
Thu Feb 5 11:46:39 EST 1998

To whom it may concern:

Weeks ago I post a message about importing idrisi image files to GRASS. I got
little response. After going thru the whole procedure with defferent idrisi
settings, I now have successfully imported the files to GRASS.

The trick of Idrisi is that the image file you are going to export must be
itself in Integer Ascii format, not byte packed binary. so we have to use
CONVERT function to convert the idrisi image file to integer ascii format, if
not already that. Then use Import/export to export this image file to GRASS in
ascii format. FTP this new file to your GRASS directory, run r.in.ascii,
everything by now should work properly.

I think somebody may need this kind of informatin in future. So I post this to
the list. thanks,

Houxiang