GRASS-XMI and other Grass GUIs

George Chou gchou at gpz.com
Tue Jan 27 16:07:05 EST 1998

Hi David,
It is true that the command line has its advantages in doing certain
things.  A simple example is to stop a GRASS monitor by typing "d.mon
stop=x0".  I would certainly not start a GUI program for such a simple
task. The advantages of using a user-freindly GUI for a new user are
obvious.
For an advanced user like you, however, I'd like to emphasize two of
GRASS-XMI's most useful features.

First, the ability to reuse entered data, in particular, during iterative
operations to optimize the output.

Second, pseudo-multi-tasking: For example, I was entering data in the
"Line of Sight" (r.los) dialogue box and found that I had not had x- and
y-coordinates for the point.  I was able to start the "Cursor Coordinates"
dialogue box (d.where) to obtain the required coordinates while keeping the
"Line of Sight" dialogue box waiting for the data...

If you would like to try the beta version of GRASS-XMI for LINUX, please
let me know.  The version 1.2.1 release for LINUX will be available in
about two weeks.  Thanks.

George Chou
GPZ Technology, http://www.gpz.com
(650) 949-3708