Conversion of GTOPO30

Luis Franco francoluis at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 13 18:50:53 EDT 1998

Hi, grass comunity.

I've manage to get a program to convert the GTOPO30 maps to grass raster
ascii format and import them in grass (for version 4.0- I don't know if
it works with any other...) but it's kind of slow (only one of the many
files that comprises it took 3 hours on a Pentium II - 233 MHz...). I
need to know something that any low-level programmer knows (not me...).
What's the faster algorithm to exchange from Most Significant Byte first
(MBR) of Motorola's processors to the PC format of saving binary
numbers. We're talking of 57 Mb of 16-bit integer...

Thanks for any hand