GRASSS and OpenNT

Roy Sanderson R.A.Sanderson at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Mar 2 04:04:24 EST 1998

Dear Grass Users / Grass Programmers

Last autumn there was an email from David Mandel to the grass list about
the potential for using GRASS on Windows NT machines which had OpenNT.  The
latter gives Unix capabilities (including the usual shells, X11 etc.) to NT
machines.  How much work, I wonder, would be involved in porting GRASS to
OpenNT; presumeably it would be similar to that involved to porting GRASS
to any 'flavour' of Unix.  As I'm not a skilled programmer, I'm not in a
position to even estimate the work involved!  My interest arises because
OpenNT would seem to offer a (relatively cheap) way of running Unix
applications on MS Windows NT PCs without having to go through a major
re-writing of code (or rebooting the machines in Linux). At the moment I'm
testing a 30=day full demonstration of OpenNT from Softway Inc.
(www.softway.com) which looks very good.  Grass running on OpenNT would
have the distinct advantage (in theory) over products such as Grassland or
Blackland Grass in that existing Unix scripts for complex Grass-based
models could be used with only minor modification.  Has anyone tried using
Grass with the product, or what are folk's opinion's?

Roy

Roy Sanderson
Centre for Land Use and Water Resources Research
Porter Building
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU