GRASSS and OpenNT

Rich Shepard rshepard at teleport.com
Mon Mar 2 11:00:13 EST 1998

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Roy Sanderson wrote:

> Last autumn there was an email from David Mandel to the grass list about
> the potential for using GRASS on Windows NT machines which had OpenNT.  The
> latter gives Unix capabilities (including the usual shells, X11 etc.) to NT
> machines.  How much work, I wonder, would be involved in porting GRASS to
> OpenNT; presumeably it would be similar to that involved to porting GRASS
> to any 'flavour' of Unix.  As I'm not a skilled programmer, I'm not in a
> position to even estimate the work involved!  My interest arises because
> OpenNT would seem to offer a (relatively cheap) way of running Unix
> applications on MS Windows NT PCs without having to go through a major
> re-writing of code (or rebooting the machines in Linux). At the moment I'm
> testing a 30=day full demonstration of OpenNT from Softway Inc.
> (www.softway.com) which looks very good.  Grass running on OpenNT would
> have the distinct advantage (in theory) over products such as Grassland or
> Blackland Grass in that existing Unix scripts for complex Grass-based
> models could be used with only minor modification.  Has anyone tried using
> Grass with the product, or what are folk's opinion's?

Roy,

  We're in just the earliest stages of migrating from Microsquish to
Linux, primarily to run GRASS. However, there is a port of GRASS to NT
(and Win95 for the truly masochistic).  It costs US$150.  The Blackland
Experiment Station of the Texas Extention Service ported the code.

  Check out http://www.baylor.edu/~grass and you'll learn more about it.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.
2404 SW 22nd Street
Troutdale, OR 97060-1247  USA
Voice: + 503-667-4517  Fax: + 503-667-8863