printing on network printer

Michel Wurtz - LTE mw at engees.u-strasbg.fr
Thu Nov 5 02:57:36 EST 1998

Francisco Estrada Belli wrote:

> Dear Grass experts,
>
> I wonder if someone could tell me how to set up a printer that is not
> attached
> to a machine through a tty device but has it's own ip address and prints
> with
> the lpr program.  I would like to be able to use it for output with
[...]

I print all through a HP Laser postscript printer on our local
Ethernet network.  What I have done :

1- set up the printer (give him an IP address, +etc)
2- give a name to the printer (hplaser here) in the DNS server
   (or in /etc/hosts if you want to print even when your DNS server
   goes down :-()
3- update /etc/printcap and restart the lpd daemon.  Here is the
   content of mine. look at the manual (printcap, section 5) for
   options detail and customizing (you need perhaps other settings)

lp|postscript:\
        :lp=:rm=hplaser:sd=/usr/spool/lp:sh:mx#0:\
        :af=/usr/adm/lp-acct:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:

Hope this can help you,

--
Michel Wurtz    ENGEES - Laboratoire Territoires & Environnement
                1, quai Koch - BP 1039, F-67070 STRASBOURG cedex