Point Importing

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Mon Oct 19 22:08:57 EDT 1998

Hi, Taravudh
As these points really represent vertices of a polygon, rather than
sites, the ASCII file needs to be imported using v.in.ascii. Check the
manual pages for format specifics; I recommend using v.out.ascii on an
existing vector file so that you can see the expected file format.

I don't have GRASS handy at the moment, and I don't recall the header
format, but the basic structure for the coordinate part is as follows:
(let's assume there are 8 coordinates)

A 9
 x-coordinate1 y-coordinate1
 x-coordinate2 y-coordinate2
 x-coordinate3 y-coordinate3
 x-coordinate4 y-coordinate4
 x-coordinate5 y-coordinate5
 x-coordinate6 y-coordinate6
 x-coordinate7 y-coordinate7
 x-coordinate8 y-coordinate8
 x-coordinate1 y-coordinate1

Note that the first and last coordinate pair are the same. Also, I may
have my x- and y-coordinates reversed; please check the manual. After
importing this file with v.in.ascii, you'll need to run v.support. After
that, you can label the polygon in v.digit if desired.

Regards,
	-Malcolm Williamson