ascii DXF files

Ben Horner-Johnson ben at earth.nwu.edu
Fri Sep 25 13:31:24 EDT 1998

Thanks to all who wrote.  I posted question first, then subscribed when I
couldn't get the info.grass.user newsgroup to show any files.  I received
several replies and then my questions.

DXF files are looked for in the current directory (directory that GRASS
was invoked in, I presume, according to Terry Duell - with disclaimer for
memory) or in a "drg" directory (according to Anthony Burns).  Trying these
solutions didn't work in my case, though I still may have something wrong.

Terry Duell and Leslie Apollon both suggested using absolute path names,
which worked perfectly.  As one of the local UNIX gurus I'm embarrassed
that I didn't think of it myself.

Luis Franco said that v.in.dxf worked for him and that the text was put in
a separate file and that blank rectangles to contain the text were put in
the vector layers.  He's had some problems with v.cadlabel in getting the
text displayed, as have I.

Once I get the procedures worked out, I'll come up with text for a FAQ.

Thanks,
Ben Horner-Johnson
ben at earth.nwu.edu