libncurses problem

Bill Hughes bhughes at grasshoppernet.com
Fri Apr 2 08:31:33 EST 1999

> I installed the linux binaries in my Caldera Open Linux 1.3 system
> following the web page instructions and get the following error message:
> /usr/local/grass5/etc/gis_set:  can't load library 'libcurses.so.1'

The problem is that the guy who made those binaries has the
'curses' library and you don't.  If you don't have
/usr/lib/libncurses.so.1 on your system, then you should install
it, or /usr/lib/libcurses.so.1, from the distribution media.

If you do have 'libncurses' instead of 'libcurses' then you can
lie to your linker and tell it that libncurses is libcurses.
Link libncurses.so.1 to libcurses.so.1, and re-run 'ldconf'
(Assuming that you're the SuperUser.)

% cd /usr/lib
% ln -s libncurses.so.1 libcurses.so.1
% ldconfig

That libncurses could be *.so.1.9.9f.4.9.g.h, so check your
filename before you blindly type from my instructions.  GRASS
does alright for me (RedHat 5.2) with this sort of hack, but
I'll make no warranties -- it's cheating.

Bill Hughes