d.mon problems

Michel Wurtz - LTE mw at engees.u-strasbg.fr
Fri Apr 23 02:52:26 EDT 1999

Karin Mayer wrote:

> After installing GRASS4.x.x binaries on LINUX, I got some problems to open
> monitors with d.mon x0, for instance. I got only the sparse message:
>
> Problem selecting x0 Will try once more.
>
> It is not the "8 bit mode - XDRIVER - problem! Is there anybody out there
> who has an idea what kind of problem this might be? Thanks a lot.

It is probably a permission or missing directory problem.
Look in $GISBASE/locks directory ($GISBASE is the directory where
grass is installed).  You should have a directory named after the
machine name (uname -n will give this name).  This directory
*must* exist and have world rwx permission (chmod a+rwx ...).

It will contain files named mon.xxxxx where xxxxx is a number.
This file is a lock for XDRIVER.  You cannot launch it if you
can't create this lock file.

--
Michel Wurtz    ENGEES - Laboratoire Territoires & Environnement
                1, quai Koch - BP 1039, F-67070 STRASBOURG cedex