Convert sites to vector(s) to build a mask

Michel Wurtz - LTE mw at engees.u-strasbg.fr
Tue Apr 27 12:39:03 EDT 1999

Stephan Eickschen wrote:

> Hi GRASSers,
>
> I am in deep trouble... I have a very good high resolution coastline
> which I want to use to build a ocean-land(ice)-mask. Unfortunatly, this
> dataset consists of a 2 Meg x-y file of digitised lines and points. The
> only hope is that the elements are separated with a marker...
> Since it is a looong story to tell, I wrote in on a web page, so that
> everybody who is willing to help me can read it in detail, but the other
> are not bored by a looooong email. So *please* have a look at
>
>         http://earth.uni-muenster.de/~eicksch/GRASS/Problem.html

Just throw away the dig_att file.  There is *no* line attributes in
your original file, so why run in trouble while creating them.

As far as I understand your problem, you need polygon as the final
result.  To do that, just replace the L by an A in dig_ascii file,
run v.in.ascii, then run v.support (without any dig_att nor dig_cats
file) and you will have something OK... but not labelled.

You must use v.digit to label polygons, close them (green dot means
that the line is not connected to another), and put Area labels at
hand, except if you have some file with X,Y and attribute points
inside your poly (in this case you may use it to create the dig_att
file)

Sorry to late answering, but your web page was unreachable from my
computer...

--
Michel Wurtz    ENGEES - Laboratoire Territoires & Environnement
                1, quai Koch - BP 1039, F-67070 STRASBOURG cedex