grass on windows via cygwin (or interix(opennt) ?

Michel Wurtz - LTE mw at engees.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Apr 28 02:36:17 EDT 1999

Angus Carr wrote:
[...]
> The real problems you will encounter :
>
> FIFO's are not supported by the cygwin dll. You will need to modify the
> XDRIVER and libraries to use a shared memory message-passing method. Check
> out MessQ if you want to do this. It was for this very purpose.

Yes, and this is probably the raison why current versions of Grass
for Windows (Grassland, Blackgrass) are not free.

BTW, why not use a socket based message passing method.  I guess
this may work on Unix and WIndows, and enough close to the FIFO
mecanism to ease porting ?

--
Michel Wurtz    ENGEES - Laboratoire Territoires & Environnement
                1, quai Koch - BP 1039, F-67070 STRASBOURG cedex