grass on windows via cygwin (or interix(opennt) ?

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Wed Apr 28 05:58:59 EDT 1999

Hi,
I tried to compile GRASS with cygwin some times back but ended up
without much success and had almost given up the thought since. I
did not realize about the FIFO problem at that time but after
Angus pointed it out, I was looking for some solutions.

The U/WIN software is supposed to support FIFO and the U/WIN
homepage specifically mentions that "Fifo's (UNIX named pipes) can be
created with mkfifo() and opened as an ordinary file. ". Perhaps compiling
GRASS with U/WIN stands a better chance of success at present.
U/WIN is also available for download for educational, research, and evaluation
purposes at the following URL

http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/

Anyone with the time and inclination can perhaps try to compile GRASS with
U/WIN. At the moment, I have little time to try and take a shot at that.

Venkatesh