patches to 5.0beta + I'm stumped

Terry Duell terry.duell at aea.sptcomd.defence.gov.au
Thu Aug 5 21:19:40 EDT 1999

Justin Hickey wrote:

> We are not using any switches for multiple processing. The reason why is that
> in order to use multiple processors efficiently, the code must be written with
> parallel programming techniques. Simply telling the compiler that you want a
> program (originaly written as a sequential program) to use multiple processors

My experience with the SGI Power C and Power F77 compilers is that you will get
very near the speed up expected for the number of processors, simply by using the
parallel code switch. This is particularly the case when dealing with arrays, and
hence most of the raster processing tools would show a noticable improvement.
I suggest all that needs to be done (if one has the Power C compiler) is to modify
the definition of the CC command in the basic makefile (one would, of course, need
to suss out what that was, and where to modify the basic makefile). It would
certainly be worth a try, and if it wasn't successful, simply go back to original
CC definition and rebuild.

Cheers,