r.surf.contour in grass5.0 - memory hog

Justin Hickey jhickey at impact1.hpcc.nectec.or.th
Wed Aug 11 08:23:31 EDT 1999

Hello all

We recently installed GRASS5.0beta2 on an SGI Origin 2000 with 512 MB of RAM.
When we tested the r.surf.contour command using data that we used previously on
a SGI Indy with 64 MB RAM using GRASS4.2.1, the r.surf.contour command suddenly
turned into a memory hog, failing after about 5 minutes with an out of memory
error. We have tools to monitor memory usage and the command run on the
GRASS4.2.1 system shows very little memory usage during the first 5 minutes or
so. However, the GRASS5.0 system continually allocates more memory (eventually
swapping) from the start of the program until it finally runs out of memory.

Does anyone know why r.surf.contour now needs so much memory? Has anyone else
seen this problem? Does anyone know of a solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

--
Sincerely,

Jazzman (a.k.a. Justin Hickey)  e-mail: jhickey at hpcc.nectec.or.th
High Performance Computing Center