i.rectify problem

Luca Palmeri lpalmeri at ux1.unipd.it
Thu Aug 12 07:25:59 EDT 1999

Hello everybody,
    I run into an annoying problem while running i.rectify on a linux RH6.0
platform. I was trying to rectify a digitalized imported tiff image. Exiting from
the i.rectify module the program promises to send an e-mail on completition. And
the e-mail arrived indeed but with incomprensible characters:
GISERROR: ##########
where "#" stands for characters with no 7-bit representation, so probably binary
spures.
So I went to the c source and after suppressing the background forking and
inserting some debugging breaks I discovered that the error is in the write_map
routine.
More precisely I found one strange thing: file <write.c> lines 53-58
   if(read(temp_fd,rast,target_window.cols * G_raster_size(map_type))
      != target_window.cols * G_raster_size(map_type));
       {
   printf(buf, "error writing row %d\n", row);
   G_fatal_error(buf);
       }
I noted the column at the end of line 54. This column shouldn't be there, at least
it seemed to me.
So I canceled the column. But the "read" call continued to report error (exit code
-1).

Inserting some debugging code with fprinfs to stderr I found that:
> In write_map:
> Opened the raster: cory3
> ChkP row: 0
> ChkP row: 1
> error writing row 1,bytes read=-1 while expecting 11304
> The error reported by read is: Bad file descriptor

Does anybody have already incurred in such a problem and know how to solve this.
Thanks a lot
LP