tcltkgrass errors

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at uwm.edu
Mon Aug 16 13:53:07 EDT 1999

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 08:04:50AM -0100, arch. Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> I am only able to run tcltkgrass
> interface if I login as root!
> If I login as another user it starts
> drawing a window, then it stops and gives the error:
>
> Mapset <stef> in Location <leics>
> GRASS-GRID > Error in startup script: couldn't create error file for
> command: no such file or directory

>     while executing
> "exec xwininfo -id [winfo id .w_g] | grep -i Corners"
>     (file "/usr/local/grass42/tcltkgrass/main/gui.tcl" line 1511)
>     invoked from within
> "source $env(TCLTKGRASSBASE)/main/gui.tcl"
>     (file "/usr/local/grass42/bin/tcltkgrass" line 17)
>
> I checked the permission for /tmp and it seems ok: owner+group+other has
> rwx permissions.  Also the program xwininfo works if invoked.
>
> What else can it be?

Some environment variable, like PATHs, TCLTKGRASSBASE might be different
vor the user and for root. Check the output of the "set" command and
compare it.

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 12:48:35PM -0100, arch. Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> I am clueless now.  What else can it be?  Is there any Solaris user out
> there that can give some advice?

It is hard to do that, without actually looking into your problem on
your particular machine.

You might consider a fresh new install, to see if the problems are still
there.

	Bernhard

--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.    (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Association for a Free Informational Infrastructure              (ffii.org)