Tutorial datasets---how to start?

Me'sza'ros Ferenc ferenc at relief.hu
Wed Jan 20 04:06:31 EST 1999

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:

> Long ago, I installed the spearfish tutorial data  set.  Now I have
> upgraded to 4.2.1, this data set is working.  I haven't been able to use
> the imagery or global data sets.  When I try to specifiy anything, in
> the opening screen (asking for mapset etc.) I always get the message
> that I do not have permission to access the mapset.
>
> I changed the ownership and permissions, without success.
I've got the spearfish database in /wrk/tests/grass/sp/spearfish. Consider
the following to access it.
***************'
# Some commands to get spearfish working

cd /wrk/tests/grass/sp

# Enter the following data on the initial screen
                            GRASS 4.2.1

LOCATION: This is the name of an available geographic location.  -spearfish-
          is the sample data base for which all tutorials are written.

MAPSET:   Every GRASS session runs under the name of a MAPSET.  Associated
          with each MAPSET is a rectangular COORDINATE REGION and a list
          of any new maps created.

DATABASE: This is the unix directory containing the geographic databases

         The REGION defaults to the entire area of the chosen LOCATION.
         You may change it later with the command: g.region

LOCATION:   spearfish_____             (enter list for a list of locations)
MAPSET:     ferenc________             (or mapsets within a location)

DATABASE:   /wrk/tests/grass/sp_______________________________

              AFTER COMPLETING ALL ANSWERS, HIT <ESC> TO CONTINUE
                            (OR <Ctrl-C> TO CANCEL)

# then set the default region
GRASS-GRID > g.region -d

# open graphics monitor
GRASS-GRID > d.mon start=x1
Graphics driver [x1] started

Mapset <ferenc> in Location <spearfish>

# display elevation data in raster format
GRASS-GRID > d.rast elevation.dem

Mapset <ferenc> in Location <spearfish>
*********
Good luck,

MF
phone/fax: +36-88-272644  | Microsoft is not the answer.
 cellular: +36-20-9576742 | Microsoft is the question, and the answer is no.