Bus error with CELL display

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Jan 21 06:34:42 EST 1999

> Today I have tried to use the CELL drive to generate an high quality 3D
> image.
> I make all hints as explained in the GRASS 3D web page
> (http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/admin/d.3d_CELL.html)
> but I can't make output with r.out.tiff. In this moment, I have a "bus
> error" message.
> The D_cell rast file exists (I can display it), so I don't know what is
> the problem.

Hi,

the reason might be indirectly the size of your CELL-file.
When closing the CELL-driver, the unix prompt comes immediately.
But the CELL file is still being written, if it is more
than 1000x1000 size. Watch the CPU load and harddisk for that activities.
It may need up to a minute to write the file depending on your
machine (bus error sounds like solaris). When the harddisk is
calm, r.out.tiff will work.

Good luck

  Markus