New GIS.sh (GRASS modules access problem)

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jan 26 04:24:41 EST 1999

Hi Alan, Luis, Venkatesh (?) and GRASS with bash shell users,

we seems to have two different problems using bash and GRASS:

1: When using bash shell, the GRASS modules cannot be accessed.
   The solution is an updated (from yesterday) GRASS-script "GIS.sh",
   which supports bash. The original script only supports c-shell
   and tc-shell (sch, tcsh). I added a bash section, which works
   fine:

   You find the latest version on
     http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/admin/bash_grass.html

   Make a savety copy of your original GIS.sh (which stays in grass4x/etc)
   and copy this new file into that directory.

   The script will add the GRASS path settings to your standard paths
   during the GRASS session.

   If this script updated fixes the path problems everywhere, we shall
   replace it in GRASS source code package and binary packages.

2: Some users reported a problem opening a GRASS monitor due to permission
   problems. This is new at least to me as I am also user of Suse 5.3/bash
   /GRASS 4.2.1.

   In my opinion this problem is not related to above path problems.

   Possible ways to check this permission situation are:
   - /usr/local/grass4x/locks must get rwx permissions (read,write,execute,
     change with chmod ugo+rwx locks/) for everybody (I think there is no
     security problem as standard /tmp has same permissions)
   - there must be a subdirectory inside this locks/ named as your machine
     (check that with uname -n). Take care of caps letters.
   - this subdirectory also needs rwx permissions for everybody

   If this does not help, please write again...
   I am using the same system, but did not need any "tricks".
   So I expect the *second* problem to exist due to local permission
   problems. The *first* path problem should be fixed through the updated
   GIS.sh script.

Good luck

   Markus

PS: If anyone has a different opinion concerning the permission settings,
    please let me know. All comments are welcome.