GRASS 5.0 beta2 Released!

Luca Palmeri lpalmeri at ux1.unipd.it
Tue Jul 27 10:51:18 EDT 1999

Hi everybody,
                    I have just compiled 5.0beta2 on a Toshiba laptop 330
Mhz, 64Mb ram with
linux RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.5-15.
Some problems caused by unresolved simbols in libcurses, I was not able to
figure out how
to use the ./configure script in order to add the -lcurses linker option so
I modified manually
the file src/CMD/head as follow:

CURSES              =  -lcurses $(TERMLIB) $(COMPATLIB)

with this the problem has been solved.
I had also to put in the include dir an "ansi.h" header file. I found a minix
version of this file
on the internet at http://minix1.hampshire.edu/include/ , it seems working.
Beyond libcurses, many other non standard RedHad installed library are
needed. These
libraries can be found on the redhat site:

   XFree86-devel-3.3.3.1-49.i386.rpm
   libjpeg-devel-6b-9.i386.rpm
   libtermcap-devel-2.0.8-13.i386.rpm
   libtiff-devel-3.4-6.i386.rpm
   zlib-devel-1.1.3-5.i386.rpm

Finally I encountered the same problem already reported on r.binfer,
    wait - incompatible type for argument 1,
   Same solution: change unsigned int to int

One last problem I have not been able to work around was in "v.in.dlg" and
"r.out.mpeg". The procedure stops and reports (for example for r.out.mpeg):

> In file included from main.c:19:
> rom_proto.h:21: macro `strchr' used without args
> make[1]: *** [OBJ.i586-pc-linux-gnu/main.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/grass5/src/grass5.0beta/src/raster/r.out.mpeg'
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src/raster/r.out.mpeg
> make: *** [do-install] Error 1

I do not know how to solve this, so I simply skipped the two programs and
kept the old
versions.

I've got the 5.0beta2 working on my laptop. It seems that it is behaving
well, I am already
working with my mapsets. The problems with xterm, reported especially in
creating a
new location, have disapperad, and the whole thing seems to work pretty well.

Thanks a lot guys

LP