Trying to convert lines to polygons

Juan Bañuls juabacar13 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 5 05:22:56 EST 1999

>The areas you create are not labelled (means that v.to.rast will give
>you an empty file).  Snapping doesn't help.  Labelling is done via the
>dig_att file : an entry for each area or line to be labelled made as
>following for an area :
>
>A xxxxxx yyyyyy nn
>
>A means area (L for line), xxxxx and yyyyyy are the coordinates of the
>label point (inside the area), and nn is the area number (> 0).
>
>Try to use v.digit after running v.support.  There is some command
>to show unlabelled areas.  You can label each area interactively.
>If some areas cannot be labelled, look at the nodes around them (and
>zoom)
>If there is some green dots, that's mean that a line doesn't match
>any other. You can snap manualy lines together, solving the unclosed
>polygon problem. After that rerun v.support to label area, and
v.to.rast
>will work.
>
>If you have some labels in dxf, you can import them in the dig_att file
>with respect to the format showed above (v.digit is sometimes boring
:-)
Well, in order to export the map into a raster format it would be a good
solution, but I want to get the areas in the vector format and export
them into a shape file. It doen't matter if the dbf file is empty, I
only want the map.
In the other hand, GRASS detect the lines not owned by areas (in v.digit
I can see these opened lines, option "o" in the Toolbox), but I cannot
create new areas from v.digit. I've tried to label all the lines of a
not detected area and after that I don't know how to make GRASS to
detect the polygon (v.support doesn't recognize it).
Besides, it would be very boring to create all the missing areas from
v.digit because I am working with big maps...
Can you help me?
Thank you for your time.
Juan Bañuls.