GRASS, Linux and libc

Andrew M McDermott mcdermam at potsdam.edu
Sat Mar 6 07:07:37 EST 1999

Leon Alexander wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I tried installing Grass 4.2 and 5.0beta, from the binaries on the website.
> However, I get the same error message with both versions, namely, "gis_set"
> expects library files I do not have.
>
> "ldd gis_set" lists "libcurses.so.1" and "libc.so.5" as "not found". Is
> this a common problem with Redhat linux 5.1, kernel 2.0.34. Is there a
> fix for this problem?
>
> If this answer is in the archives, I apologise. I looked but did not
> find any suitable fix.
>
> Thanks
> Leon
>
> Leon Alexander
> Leon at dip.ee.uct.ac.za

The libc glibc problem confuses me whenever I install from source, so maybe I
can guess...glibc is a newer set of libraries for LINUX which I think have to
do with security/encryption and related issues. Many apps require that you
specify which library you have (libc5 or glibc) inorder to compile for the
platform. The latest Slackware Linuux runs with libc5 but provides glibc for
dynamic linking. Perhaps RedHat only includes the glibc libraries? This is a
very real possibility. Good Luck.