GRASS, Linux: libcurses and libc

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sat Mar 6 07:39:02 EST 1999

Hi (Linux-) GRASS friends!

> > "ldd gis_set" lists "libcurses.so.1" and "libc.so.5" as "not found". Is
> > this a common problem with Redhat linux 5.1, kernel 2.0.34. Is there a
> > fix for this problem?

> I had a similar problem with Debian Linux 2.0 some time ago. It seems from the
> output of ldd that there are two separate issues. First you need to load the
> library libcurses to somewhere where the system can find it. You probably have
> libncurses installed as RedHat 5.x is a newer distro. This works OK if you
> compile GRASS against it on your own system, but if you use the binary package
> off the website, you must use libcurses.so.1. I think this is included as a
> tarball in the package under .../grass42/lib. If not it should be available
> from the website.

I will go for

  - ncurses
  - libc.so.6 (= glib2)

now for Linux binary distribution. That shall prevent you from getting
"libcurses.so.1" problems and "libc.so.5" problems in future.

Then GRASS Linux binaries shall be compliant with Redhat 5.2, SuSe 6.0
and Debian then.
Please give me a few days...

Best wishes

   Markus Neteler

 Linux binaries: (updated very soon)
   http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/

 ... and on the mirrors some days later...