GRASS graphics driver can't set color

James Harper jharper at jps.net
Fri May 21 22:48:56 EDT 1999

It sounds as if you might be starting X windows as Root.  Log in as another
user (not a root user) and then go into X windows and start the monitor.
For some reason X windows will not support 8bit color when logged on as
Root.  I am assuming that you have already setup the monitors using via
monitorcap file and set mknod/chmod to the fifo devices.  If not it is
really easy to do and if you like I will give you detailed instructions on
how to set them up.

James Harper