GRASS mentioned by FSF (was: GRASS as GNU Projekt ?)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at uwm.edu
Sun Nov 7 17:39:47 EST 1999

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 04:39:07PM +0100, Rainer Trusch wrote:
> Just finding GRASS on the GNU Page, could make a few programmers
> curious about GRASS

Anyway, here the big News:

	http://www.fsf.org/server/whatsnew.html

	http://www.fsf.org/software/software.html

| * GRASS GIS is a Geographical Information System (GIS) with raster,
| topological vector, image processing, and graphics production
| functionality that operates in the UNIX environment through a graphical
| user interface and shell in X-Windows.

>  >Those who need it will find it and the rest of the world will
>  >rightly ignore it.
>
> How can I ignore somthing I don' t know about. Just a few people heard
> of GRASS at our Department and no one used it before (hope I can
> change it a bit). We are not at the edge of GIS, but I'm sure that
> sounds quite familiar to others as well.

Well I guess you are making an argument for more publicity of GRASS.
I think the GRASS community is working on it. And I personally work on
it. (Like on the FreeGis pages (announced at LWN), the freshmeat
annoucement, my upcoming demonstration on GIS day here in Milwaukee.)

> The popularity of a product has not always to do with its qualities.
> In my view GRASS deserves a higher interest, because of its qualities
> and the effort people are spending on it. In the end everybody using
> GRASS, would have a profit from this.

My company Intevation will probably put together a CD with free GIS
Software, including GRASS and some data. It will be aimed at adventurours
people, but it should be easy enough to have couple of more people
giving GRASS a spin.

On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 08:48:30PM +0100, Rainer Trusch wrote:
> >The copyright can be assigned to the FSF, but I don't think the
> >GRASS community will want that.
>
> I such a case we should stop the discussion about it, because the others seem
> to have the same opinion.

It went like I said, they added it to their vision. :)
	Bernhard
--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.    (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)
Free Software Projects and Consulting 			   (intevation.net)