ascii files and curvature calculations

Yves Verbandt yverband at ulb.ac.be
Mon Nov 8 04:11:11 EST 1999

Dear Grass experts,

I am a biomedical engineer working in the field of cardio-respiratory
physiology.  We have reconstructed 3D images of the human diaphragm in
ascii format, i.e. a list with (x,y,z) coordinates.  The data are very
irregularly spaced due to the nature of the CT scanning technique and
the existence of "holes" in the diaphragm.  I have read the Grass
Beginner's manual but did not find a vlear answer to the following
questions (I acknowledge my complete ignorance of your subject) :

1. How can I import ascii files with 3D coordinates into grass?
2. Can grass calculate the principal curvatures in any point of my
surface?

Thanking you very much for your kind help, I remain

Sincerely yours,

Yves Verbandt
Université Libre de Bruxelles
Biomedical Physics Laboratory