ascii files and curvature calculations

Phisan Santitamnont fsvpss at eng.chula.ac.th
Mon Nov 8 04:47:05 EST 1999

Dear Yves Verbandt,

Yves Verbandt wrote:

> Dear Grass experts,
>
> I am a biomedical engineer working in the field of cardio-respiratory
> physiology.  We have reconstructed 3D images of the human diaphragm in
> ascii format, i.e. a list with (x,y,z) coordinates.  The data are very
> irregularly spaced due to the nature of the CT scanning technique and
> the existence of "holes" in the diaphragm.  I have read the Grass
> Beginner's manual but did not find a vlear answer to the following
> questions (I acknowledge my complete ignorance of your subject) :
>
> 1. How can I import ascii files with 3D coordinates into grass?
> 2. Can grass calculate the principal curvatures in any point of my
> surface?

GRASS may be not suitable  for your purpose.
GRASS has capability of 3-D modelling but it is
,more concrete, suitable for terrain.

For you problem it is a kind of solid modelling which
related to CAD.

There are so m*a*n*y packages that does solid
modelling and available freely in internet.

If  u r blank then go www.opengl.org
www.mesa3d.org for start.

Rgds,

--