License needed!

Matt.Wilkie Matt.Wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Oct 12 12:34:57 EDT 1999

>> As a Linux user, and as a programmer I absolutely vote for
>>putting GRASS under GPL copyleft.
>
>Me too, but I had a mail exchange on this subject with the peoples
>at baylor some months ago.  The GPL seemed them too weak... I don't
>remember exactly why, but it seems that their lawyers were looking
>at something more strong about the freedom of Grass.

I'm very interested in hearing about where the 'GPL seems weak'.

I've been following a variety license discussions over the last year
and the only weakness I've heard about is that is hasn't been tested
in court. As somebody posted in an earlier message, NeXT settled out
of court because their lawyer thought they would lose. To me that
indicates strength.

cheers,

-matt