GRASS License Info

Bruce Byars Bruce_Byars at baylor.edu
Tue Oct 12 14:03:16 EDT 1999

Greetings GRASS Community,

In reference to the copyright, I am not posting this to
start a debate.  I am going to clarify where we are
in developing a reasonable copyright statement that
is best for everyone.  We are currently dealing with
*several* legal fronts on the copyright issue.  It is
very complicated because there are many issues to
address (international and domestic).

The reason it takes time is because we ARE dealing
with numerous legal experts in an effort to develop the
best statement possible.  When we took over GRASS
from USA-CERL, there are implications that involve
more than just the user community at large.

We realize that everyone has their opinion about what
the best way to do things is.  However, we must hear
from the lawyers on all sides of the issue.  I would like
to see this wrapped up over the next week or so and
we are working toward this as a goal.  Again, it's great
to have everyone's input and support!

Bruce

--
Bruce Byars