Aerial photo orthorectification

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Oct 16 14:01:18 EDT 1999

  I've just discovered the photo modules and have looked at them briefly. If
I understand correctly, the set of modules is designed to use information
from the plane and camera to compute the affine transformation.

  What I do not see in this module set is a way to use GPS-collected
reference points for the orthorectification. Can this be done? If so, please
point me to the right modules for this.

  In our current system, we identify point common to the photograph and the
ground, then collect a position reading there. The software permits us to
mark that point on the scanned aerial photograph image and uses the set of
points to compute the affine transformation.

  Many of the photographs which are available to us are either historic or
provided by resource/regulatory agencies. I don't even know if airplane
orientation and camera details could even be made available for these.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com