GRASS on DU (64-bit problems)

Luca Palmeri lpalmeri at ux1.unipd.it
Sun Oct 17 11:19:42 EDT 1999

Bill Hughes wrote:

> I have been able to compile the src/* modules on Linux/Alpha without
> problems.  What scripts and code was not compilable?

I can immagine that, but on DU/Alpha things appear a bit more difficult.

A part fron r.in.tiff et related staff (i do not have libtiff, libjpg an
zlib) I
compiled everything. Ah yes no nviz, this is because, I think, we have
here
libtcl8.0 and nviz needs libtcl8.0.4. But the tktclgrass still works.

> > of  the free() call due to the complaints of the gcc
>
> These re-definitions should be removed in general.  Replace them with
> an #include of the stdlib.h header, or change the free() calls to
> G_free().

Infact, I did something analogous, even if a littlebit dirty, I renamed
free() -> free2()
I had the same redefinition problems with yywrap(). I commented or
renamed.

> No; Alphas are 64-bit machines, the alleged Portable Vector Format is
> not, and that guy who is supposed to be working on the compatibility
> doesn't move too fast.  The vector library is very 32-bit oriented,
> and the 'right' solution is to make some big changes in the code.
>
> For the moment, you can change the LNG_SIZ value to 8 instead of 4 in
> portable.h in mapdev/diglib, and then your computer will recognize
> native-sized vector files.  You cannot read Portable Vector Format,
> though.
>
> > any suggestion ?
>
> Change the PVF I/O to read byte-wise instead of assuming
> sizeof(long)==LNG_SIZ, then remove the run-time configuration code
> and make it configure at compile time.  Then re-think the whole
> big-endian/little-endian implementation to make it compatible with
> both 32- and 64-bit busses.

Something interesting, I will do that tonight before going to bed if
I have some
spare time left.

No kidding, you mean I cannot use my i586 vector files on the alpha ?
and this even under Linux/alpha ? this should definitely change !

> You could use the native Tru64 compiler instead of gcc; this offers
> a 32-bit compatibility mode that will mask the 64-bit problems.  I
> haven't tried this, of course, but it might be worth a try.  The
> compiler flag is '-taso'

This is what I am doing right now ! I will let you know, thanks a lot

LP

--
--> Luca Palmeri - Dip. Proc. Chimici dell'Ingengeria
    Universita' di Padova  TEL: +390498275527 -------