PVF in 5.0beta4

Bill Hughes bhughes at grasshoppernet.com
Sun Oct 17 15:26:59 EDT 1999

Hi all:
   64-bit support for Portable Vector Format is not available at this
time.  The fix that Markus cites below is to allow a 64-bit machine
to read/write in a native-sized vector format.  It does not provide
compatibility.  This was a fragment that I had left in the tree by
mistake -- I have a semi-functional 64-bit PVF library, but the code
is not compatible with 'lesser' machines at this point.  I don't
expect to have this done for 5.0beta4 release.

   I'll take this opportunity to mention that the PVF library is not
the only 32-bit component within GRASS.  Over the past two years, I
have been correcting code that assumes 32-bittedness, but there is
still some there.  New modules often are not 64-bit clean, so there
is an unending supply of code that needs attention.

   When you are writing code, please remember that
sizeof(char *) == sizeof(int) only for the Intel platform (and a few
others...)  If a function returns a pointer, you must not let it
default to an int type.  This is the ANSI-C standard default for
implicitly declared functions.  Prototypes are a Good Thing.  'lint'
is your friend.