Grass4 d.mon problem under Debian 2.1

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Oct 20 21:18:19 EDT 1999

Hi Adalberto!
> The new installation is as far as I know identical to the previous one and
> with the same flaw: d.mon reffuses to cooperate...
> I think it could be a problem with Debian install but it sounds strange for
> me that Grass5 works flawlessly.

> >> When I try to open a display, for instance 'x0', the program freezes.
> When I
> >> try to interrupt with CTRL+C, I get the message:
> >>
> >> "Problem selecting x0. Will try once more"

Well, another idea could be to check if the computer has a
full network name. Although  it may not be in a network you could
try to specify a domain as well to fix the problem.

Example:
grass.mydomain.br

You are shure that you have a proper locks directory?
Please recheck these instructions:

 - First your machine has to get a name (mulligan, Thuille, grassmachine,
   what you like) and a domain name, even if not working in a network
   environment.
 -> Check this:

       uname -n

   will output this name.

 - go to grass42/locks/
 - mkdir "machinename"  (without quotes)

   Example:
        $uname -n
        hgeo02.geog.uni-hannover.de or just hgeo02

      So the machines name is "hgeo02".
      Create the required directory:
        $ cd grass42/locks
        $ mkdir hgeo02    (this is still an example)
        $ cd ..
        $ chmod -R 1777 locks

 Ready.

Hope this helps. The new install script should have done this
job, therefore check for the full domain name.

Best regards

 Markus