GRASS 5 beta4 on DU alpha

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at uwm.edu
Tue Oct 26 14:04:45 EDT 1999

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 07:41:20PM +0200, Luca Palmeri wrote:
>  I post in attachment to this mail the errors
> and fixes I had to do in order to compile grass5beta4
> on Digital Unix alpha.

Thanks. I couldn't get the source fast enough to start with it.

> I had to modify the source code in many places. I do
> not actualy know how much of these changes are specific
> to the particular system I installed grass on, or to
> *my choice* of using cc instead of gcc. Anyhow
> I hope these help if somebody runs into troubles in
> compiling on a 64bit system

You should create a patch (running diff -u)
on the changed files. This would applying your changes easier.

> before compile, after doing ./configure
>
> 0) Changed "gcc" -> "cc" and "-g" -> "-g3" in src/CMD/head/head
>    cc likes very much the -g3 optimization with debugging symbols

But this is not necessary.
And usually you can give options to configure, like

	CC=cc CFLAGS="-std1 -O -g3"  ./configure .....

> 2) changed "-lncurses" -> "-lcurses" in src/CMD/head/head. I do not
>    have SOs ncurses on my system and had some unresolved symbols.

configure should have taken care of this.
Maybe you have ncurses installed somewhere.

> 7) in the file src/mapdev/v.in.tig.lndmk/globals.h commented the definition of
>    "dirname" due to the following error:
>      cc: Error: globals.h, line 77: In this declaration, the type of
>      "dirname" is not compatible with the type of a previous declaration of
>      "dirname" at line number 165 in file /usr/include/string.h.
>      extern char dirname[250]; /* base directory/file name for Tiger files */

This dirname can be removed totally. (It is in myt last patch.)

> 11) in file src/scripts/contrib/Gmakefile delete the 2nd line
>     # $(GMAKE) tiger.info
>     even if that is commented make on DU seems not allowing comented lines
>     like that in makefile, it complains saying something about files not found.

I would recommend to install gnumake and bison/flex.
It doesn't take that much space, and really helps.

I will go for the compile soon.
	Bernhard

--
Research Assistant, Geog Dept UM-Milwaukee, USA.    (www.uwm.edu/~bernhard)