Identification of flooded areas

Bruce Byars Bruce_Byars at baylor.edu
Wed Oct 27 09:06:31 EDT 1999

Trond,

GRASS has numerous tools that will pertform the tasks you mention,
and there are several ways to utilize them.  Simple methods range from
using a modified r.reclass to more complex methods using hydrologic
models such as HEC or SWAT then feeding the output into GRASS.
There is also a suite of tools (f-tools) for flood analysis that uses the old
HEC-2 model to plot surface water profiles.  Several years ago when I
worked for Blackland Research Center on SWAT dev., we came up
with a relatively simple script for plotting surface water profiles using the
GRASS modules r.mapcalc, r.reclass, and r.watershed.  I think I may
still have it on a tar tape if you're interested I can look for it.  One issue
that I do remember was it was necessary to resample our dem's down
to a smaller grid resolution to produce a map that looked reasonable.

Let me know if this helps or you need anything else.

Bruce