Box Counting Method

DIETER LEHMANN lehmann at fh-nuertingen.de
Thu Sep 23 09:11:59 EDT 1999

Hi Markus,
I think, that r.le should do the job. But - it is not working for me (I
send a mail to the list some time ago, but received no answer...)

Dieter

From:           	neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de (Markus Neteler)
Subject:        	Re: Box Counting Method
To:             	grass at cecer.army.mil
Date sent:      	Fri, 17 Sep 99 7:32:36 BST
Send reply to:  	grass at cecer.army.mil

> > I've written a box counting program for GRASS.  It uses bit-flipping
> > techniques which means that it's very quick, but as a result it may
> > only run on little endian machines (e.g. Intel-based machines, which
> > is all I have access to).  You can find out more and download the
> > source code by following the links from my signature.
> [...]
> > Dr. Mark Lake
> > http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/research/profiles/lake.htm
> >

> Hi Mark, hi all,
>
> currently I am searching for a GRASS module to calculate
> the fractal dimension of remote sensing images. I think
> the box counting method should be fine for that.
> So I have a few questions (as not being very experienced with fractals
> in GIS yet):
>
>  - I would need a module which accepts grey scale images instead
>    of binary images
>  - the result should be regionalised: A resulting raster map would show
>    the distributed fractal dimension so that you could distinguish
>    different types of landscape
>
> Is that possible with (modified) r.boxcount? Or do I have to write a
> new module?
> Does anybody have experience here?
>
> Any help is appreciated!
>
>   Markus Neteler

Dieter Lehmann
State University of applied Sciences
Schelmenwasen 4-8
D-72622 Nuertingen, Germany
lehmann at fh-nuertingen.de
Phone: +49 (0) 7022 404 Ext. 192 or Ext. 152
Fax: +49 (0) 7022 404 Ext. 166