[GRASSLIST:1288] Re: errors grass5beta10

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sun Dec 17 11:55:36 EST 2000

Hi Rob,

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 03:40:02PM -0500, rob schick wrote:
> List- I was having some startup errors, but after removing the -nocase
> option per Justin's recommendation, grass started just fine. However, I
> ran into problems when I tried to access another dataset (I'm obviously
> new at this, and am still somewhat confused about how the data directories
> work). I downloaded the leics dataset for the GRASS Seeds tutorial. When
> the tcl window popped up I tried to specify a new location and dataset,
> but received an error about the disable option (I tried to recreate this
> so I could specify exactly what it was, but I can no longer get grass5b10
> to start with the tcl window). I quit, and then tried to restart grass,
> which prompted:
>
> Starting GRASS ...
> /usr/local/grass5/etc/set_data: error in loading shared libraries:
> libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

GRASS needs the ncurses library which comes along with any Linux
distribution (I assume you have linux). Take you distro CDROMs and install
this missing library.

> I then deleted the $home/.grassrc5 file and started grass again. This
> prompted (note the version):
> $ grass5
>
> WELCOME TO GRASS              Version 5.0beta9         December 2000
>
>    1) Have at your side all available GRASS tutorials
>
>    2) When working on your location, the following materials
>       are extremely useful:
>       - A topo map of your area
>       - Current catalog of available computer maps
>
>    3) Check the GRASS webpages for feedback mailinglists and more:
>       http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass
>       http://grass.baylor.edu
>

> Hit RETURN to continue
>
> Starting GRASS ...
> /usr/local/grass5/etc/set_data: error in loading shared libraries:
> libncurses.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> I then rebooted the computer and I receive the same error. Not sure what
> I've done wrong. My questions are threefold:
>
> 1. How can I correct this and get the tcl window up again?
> 2. Why is the version now 9 instead of ten?
Well, this doesn't matter. I don't know why, but this number should have
been 10 instead of 9.

> 3. In the tcl window how exactly do you specify a new dataset? Is the
> location one directory above PERMANENT?
The gui startup is searching for PERMANENT directory. If found, the parent
directory is taken into the list of locations which are displayed then.
If the PERMANENT is missing for any reason, the location won't be detected
by the *graphical* startup. Since now we thought it would be the easiest way
to detect a location...

Regards

 Markus Neteler